Post by igotthepoison on May 23, 2013 14:18:48 GMT
Hi, This is my latest acquisition in all its glory, i'm not going to enter into some long restoration to bring it back to show room condition, more of a re-commission than anything, i bought it with the intention of having something different to cruise to RetroRides gathering with my buddies in as i have been in the same car for 3 years now so time for a change..
its been sat for a while by the looks of it and the mot ran out in 2006, since then it has done 6 miles..
Replaced the dizzy cap + rotor arm + sparking candles and it runs ok but a little more adjustment is required..
Nice to see another one sorted. Needs a bit of TLC!!
Talbot Samba LS (16,000 miles) Talbot Alpine GL ( 46,000 miles ) Chrysler Alpine S 1980 ( 42,000 miles ) Chrysler Alpine GL 1978 ( 52,000 miles ) Peugeot 309 ( Talbot Arizona 16,000 miles ) Fiat 127 Comfort (31,000 miles ) Lada Riva 1200 ( 15,000 miles ) Yugo Van (31,000 miles ) Yugo 45 ( 8,000 miles ) Skoda Estelle 130 ( 2,800 miles ) Yugo Cabriolet (1,300 miles ) Yugo 513 ( 9,000 miles ) Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL (20
Update time, this thing was only running on 3 cylinders when i got it, after much fettling and changing the cap,rotor,plugs still no joy, so off came the carb for a rebuild turns out one of the diaphrams was non existent, this meant after a minute or so of running it would dump the fuel into cylinder 2 and come to a stop, so a full gasket set was sourced and sent off to the dad garage for a rebuild (being retired he has a lot more time on his hands than me..!) and a sterling job he did too.. While the carb was off i thought hell, why not whip the head off, so i did, the gasket was in a sorry state, the valves were black with deposit, so all was cleaned up and after a lot of searching a new head gasket set was sourced, head is back on and the engine runs sweet as a nut, no smoke form the exhaust any more. Next job was the exhaust, both rear sections were scrap, again i searched for a replacement but no joy, so it was time to make one.. after removing the zaust from the car the scrap bits were cut out, a mate supplied me with a few back boxes he has collected over the years and i chose a suitable replacement, i am taking the bits to work today to weld them together and hopefully get it fitted tonight.. Sorry i have no pictures as time was against me..
Post by igotthepoison on Jul 28, 2013 10:45:51 GMT
Another update, i have finished the exhaust off and it fitted better than i could have hoped for, due to my latest technology phone deleting all the pictures i took of work in progress youll have to put up with this poor one taken from underneath the car..
while under there fitting the exhaust i had a good poke around with a screwdriver and found a few holes along the rear bulkhead to floor meeting point, and along the cross member in the middle, my intention was to remove the interior and give it some George treatment anyway, so interior removed and the holes just kept getting bigger, again due to my phone i only have after shots, still more to do,
So the battle continues, this time i had to take the fuel tank out, see, when i was welding i set fire to the fuel line so i had to cut the fuel line pipe and drain the little bit of fuel out, when i did this i noticed it was coming out very brown and lumpy bits in it like scale from a kettle, this easy task wanted to fight me all the way as one of the captive nuts was no longer captive and caused me a little bit of grief trying to remove it, got there in the end though..
Picture take inside the tank..
This is the crap that came out..
And to make it a bit more fun this broke off the fuel sender..
Me again.. sent the fuel sender to the girlfriends dad for repair, he drilled and tapped the connection posts, then screwed it together with some 2mm machine screws..and so far it works, the tank is back in and the gauge reads empty now and the fuel light is illuminated..result..