all the parts together for the rack & pinion update. rack from late 1000 and its crossmember in front.. original steering box, idler and umpteen more joints behind. After cleaning up and new track rod ends, bushes and balljoints we'll be ready for assembly. Revolution wheel is one of a set I got recently on Retro-Rides forum in the right 98mm pcd for the SIMCAs...just what i wanted to fit this 1200S when it's finally finished. Mick
After removing radiator and ducting that directs the hot air out of the vents in the bonnet, it was obvious the metalwork under the rad was very rusty. This area is more complicated than the same area on the 1000 saloon and has more scope for harbouring water & salt hence rust. I took the bull by the horns and cut all the area out. I'll recreate it with a bit of simplification and maybe a removable panel for better access to hoses etc. The rusty mess removed.
Panel at rear of radiator space/spare wheel well is cut out on front raditor Rallye 2 & 3 1000 Saloons. Have already trimmed rusty 2" or so off this one. Thinking of leaving more open then hoses coming from rear of the car don't have to follow such a tortuous route.
Nearly ready to go back on its wheels. Rack & Pinion conversion done and just needs brake piping completing. Bendix front calipers are unique in the 1000 range on the coupe models being single piston sliding type shared with some early FIATs. Currently sourcing parts for them, although a box of NOS parts I bought last weekend has turned up a pair of reconditioned Samba calipers which fit on the same carriers and use the same hose connections.
Decided to have a rest from welding the pickup. Dug 1200S out from under piles of stuff in the garage. Front arches needed filling back to original profile after I replaced 'frilly' edges with arch lips I cut from some 1000 saloon wings when I fitted bigger arches. All the rubbing down wasn't really a 'rest' though. Just got to do the other side and both rear arches now.....
With colder weather arriving it's time to retreat to the garage and give the 1200S a bit of attention. Before I got sidelined on work on the 1100 pickup and various non car issues, I was working out how the steering column would link up to the rack. It's not just a case of transferring everything from a late 1000 saloon as the coupe's dash is further back and a longer section from the rack to the centre UJ is needed. Raiding the stock of bits in the shed turned up that section from a MATRA Bagheera which does the job spot on. Working under the dash revealed just how crudely the RHD conversion was done when the car was new, some bits of reinforcement added to mount the steering box had cracked badly. Explains why the steering was so vague and reinforces my decision to update it with the rack.
Cooling pipes have been rerouted as they now have to go over the rack. I realised the mountings for the upper steering column would need to be adapted for the slightly different course everything now follows so removed the apprpriate bits from my LHD 'spares car'. that bracket (right on photo) is much more substantial than the one (centre) they found from somewhere for the RHD conversion and both are very different from the 1000 saloon one (left). Rather than adapt one I decided to fabricate my own.