Recent wet weather has kept me in the garage meaning my RHD 1200S Coupe is finally getting a bit of attention. Despite the fact the '67 car was last on the road in 1977 and, as far as I know it has been garaged since, the frightening combination of a SIMCA 1000 floorpan and an Italian coachbuilder's body has the all too predictable rust issues. The wheelarches, particularly at the rear had rusted badly, been 'bodged' with filler and rusted beyond that. I cut the nearside one back to good metal (yes there was some eventually)and seam welded the inner and outer arches. The sills looked scabby with just the odd hole at first. ..... Years of working on SIMCAs has taught me what to expect....the mess shown in the photo...!!! I've had to fabricate an inner sill, the intermediate panel and found that a sill intended for a 2 door SIMCA 1100 could be adapted to fit. Rebuilding the inner sill was combined with replacing the sloping outer edge to the footwell that invariably rots through on 1000's. see next post for 'after' Mick
Photo shows progress so far. Along with the inner and outer sill replacement, the curved area above the jacking point that links to the rear chassis leg had to be extensively reinforced. The answer to how to replicate the rear arch came in the shape of part of a Samba fibreglass wing (cut out when years ago I fitted extended 'bubble' arches to my old SAMBA oval racer). It is very close to the original profile of the Coupe..... That's why I never throw anything away. I've bonded it to the welded edge and obviously some filling will be needed...not to everybody's taste...but I'm building it for ME...and that's.... Next job is to do the same sill and arch work on the other side. Once that is done, the front arches, which have survived much better should present few problems (famous last words..) Then, I'll remove all the mechanicals (the 80.000Km engine runs well..!!), the rear subframe and fuel tank for a thorough clean up, derust and paint. Mick
Finally got back to working on the 1200S. dropped rear sbframe complete with rear suspension and gearbox for a thorough derusting and access to areas needing welding. Honda twin cam engines in foreground are destined for my racing SIMCA 1000 and the other 1200S.
O/s rear arch before welding begins. Outer lip was a mass of rust and filler which just broke off. edges will be cut back to good metal., seam welded and an arch from a Samba fibreglass wing fitted as per the other side. cut down SIMCA 1100 2 door sill will join it along with various home made repair panels to reinstate the inner arch/jacking point area. Mick
Thanks..... When i got round to sorting out the bits that came with it I noticed the airbox was missing...it will be a great help. I've got another LHD 1200S for spares but the guy I got it from kept the carbs and various other bits for his roadworthy car. Should be a lot futher on with this reato but...you'll know the problem...I've got just too many cars. Mick
Not used since 1977, the 'stuff' in the tank certainly wasn't liquid. Flaky mess on sheet of paper in photo is what poured out. Was going to ask about others' experience with lining treatments for old tanks like this, but a poke round some of the rust patches produced several holes. The stuff that came out must contain over 3/4 of the thickness of the tank metal...!! Will have to take the tank out of the LHD silver 1200S and hope that's better... Mick
LHD 1200S spares car for the RHD I'm restoring. It's much rustier in places... better in others. It will supply loads of 'fiddly bits' and hopefully leave a stripped out rolling shell I can build into a wild trackday creation... probably with Honda twin cam power. The seized 1294 engine that came with this 1200S was freed up and rebuilt into the unit that now powers my 'FIMCA' 133. Mick
Next job is to remove tank and surround from silver car to see if it's any less 'holey'. If it is I have a standard 1000 tank as a standby. It will fit but is smaller capacity than the tank fitted to 1200s and Rallye 2 models. Below..... the inspiration for my trackday coupe project... Nans Exner's superb creation.....
I'm keeping all the chrome on the maroon RHD car. There were bits missing so the silver LHD car will come to the rescue. I've just enough hole free bumper sections from the two cars to make a decent set. The RHD car will probably be finished in the orangey red that the early Rallye 1's were done in. It was a colour offered on the Coupes later in production... although I've though a brigh orange might look well on one. It will be more or less as standard with a stainless exhaust and a set of 6x13 Minilite replicas I've been saving for it. The Silver LHD car will be dechromed with everything for lightness and I'm hoping for a sort of 'poor man's' version of Hans Exner's car above. ... with arches etc so I can use the big wheels from my 1000 racer and FIMCA. It will have either Honda power or the Supercharged engine from my 1000 SR and is aimed at a pure trackday toy. For ease it will probably end up the same colour as the roadgoing RHD car.. Mick
Tank and surround removed from silver 1200S. Picture shows scope for collecting rust behind tank and above subframe. Good news is the tank seems fine... it actually contained liquid (albeit something like varnish..!!) and can't find any holes. A thorough derusting of the beat of the two tank shrouds and a bit if paint and they can be put to one side ready for reassembly...one day..!! The Silver car, in its new role as trackday 'toy' will get a small alloy fuel tank in the front 'boot'. The subframe, despite looking ropey in the photo is really solid as are the chassis legs. It just needs some sills to connect to them..!! Mick